Monday, June 29, 2009

Healthy Homemade Freezer Pancakes

So I didn't really have time to bake anything today, since I was working then came home and completely crashed in front of the TV to watch the end of the Andy Murray vs. Stanislas Wawrinka match (which Murray won 2-6 6-3 6-3 5-7 6-3)*! However, I made a batch of whole wheat banana pancakes a little while ago on a whim (and because I was hungry for banana pancakes one weekend morning), and decided to freeze most of them to heat up on rushed early mornings! They're quite healthy and hearty to start the day off, and re-heat really well - just microwave them wrapped in a paper towel for about 2 minutes, or until they're completely defrosted, and top with honey or maple syrup and fresh banana!

Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes

yield: about 6 large pancakes

1 c. 2 tbsp. whole wheat flour
1 tbsp. light brown sugar
2 tbsp. applesauce
1 c. skim milk
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon (or to taste)
1 banana, mashed
2 tbsp. honey
1/4 c. pecans, chopped
1 banana, sliced
  1. Mix all ingredients except for sliced banana in a medium-sized bowl.
  2. Heat a nonstick frying pan at medium heat (or a regular frying pan coated in oil or cooking spray).
  3. Ladle on the batter, and while the first side is cooking, press some slices of banana into the pancake, then flip it over when ready.
  4. Top with fresh banana slices, and drizzle with honey or maple syrup.
I'm not a morning person at all...but these are a great and tasty way to wake up and get energized for a long day!

* Also, for anyone who cares...Roger Federer (my FAVORITE tennis player) won his match today against Robin Soderling (whom he also played/beat in the French Open final a little while ago) 6-4 7-6 7-6!!! My mom was nice enough to text this to me while I was at work since I had to leave just after the first set ended!

No comments:

Post a Comment