Monday, June 15, 2009

Homemade Yorks

One of my all-time favorite candies is the york peppermint patty! My friends can all attest to the fact that I probably eat way too many, but they are completely irresistible with the perfect amount of chocolate coating and their gooey, melty peppermint insides! Anyway, I figured I'd try making my own version and see how they turned out...and I took a few creative liberties. For starters, I dyed half the peppermint filling pink and left half white so that I could layer the colors in the patties.


These turned out really cute, especially since I cut them into hearts and coated them in red-colored vanilla melts (from Guittard's)!

However, I could only cut so many hearts out of the layered dough before there were only scraps of dough left. So in the end I mixed it all together to make a sort of marbled pink color for the rest of the patties. I cut the marbled ones into various shapes (stars, diamonds, circles, etc.) and coated them in semisweet ghiradelli's chocolate! They weren't as cute as the heart-shaped ones, but I liked the chocolate-peppermint combo a bit better! Anyway...here is the (very easy) recipe for the peppermint filling which you can dye/coat/cut however you want!

Peppermint Patty Filling

2 c. confectioner's sugar (about 1/2 a box)
1 tbsp. water
1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
  1. Mix ingredients together until they form a dry, firm dough. If you want to dye the dough, add the food coloring to the water before you mix it into the sugar; that way it should mix in a bit better.
  2. Dust a surface with powdered sugar, and roll out the dough to about 1/2" thick.
  3. Cut into whatever shapes you like!
  4. If you are coating them in chocolate, let the cut-out pieces of filling dry for about 10 minutes before coating them!
They don't taste exactly like the real york peppermint patties, but they are pretty close for a homemade alternative and they're pretty tasty! Plus, you can cut them into any shape you want and can coat them in any kind/color of chocolate or candy coating!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment