yield: about 11 cupcakes
for the cupcakes:
1 1/4 c. flour
1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 c. water
1/3 c. applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cider vinegar
for the frosting:
1/4 c. (4 tbsp.) butter, softened
2 tbsp. cocoa
3 tsp. ghiradelli mocha hot chocolate mix (or 3 tsp. instant coffee)
dash of salt
3 c. confectioners sugar
3 tbsp. skim milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325F, and line a muffin tin with cupcake cups.
- Mix dry ingredients (by hand is fine) in a large bowl, then add wet ingredients.
- Stir until well-combined and lumps are gone.
- Pour batter into cupcake cups (about 3/4 full) and cook about 25 minutes, or until the cupcakes are moist and spongy.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting.
- Cream the butter, cocoa, mocha, and salt in a mixer. Slowly mix in 1 c. confectioners sugar and beat until combined. Then add remaining 2 c. sugar, milk, and vanilla, and beat until smooth.
- After letting the cupcakes cool for around 30 minutes, frost them.
I really loved these cupcakes because the cake itself is really light, but still very chocolate-y, and the frosting complements them perfectly and is super addictive! If you're feeling fancy, you can also top each of the cupcakes with a chocolate-covered espresso bean to up the caffeine factor and make them look really cute!