Yesterday I noticed that we had soooooo many fresh berries that were on the verge of going bad, so I decided to make a simple berry crisp to use some up! It was a perfect easy summer dessert that involves almost no prep work!
Fresh Summer Berry Crisp
2 c. fresh summer berries (strawberries, blueberries, cherries, blackberries, raspberries, etc.)
1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. light brown sugar
1/3 c. instant oats
1/2 tsp. sea salt
3 tbsp. butter, cut into about 9 pieces
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prep berries by rinsing them, and halving cherries/blackberries and quartering strawberries. For my crisp I used a combo of strawberries, blueberries, and cherries.
- Pour berries into an 8x8" glass baking dish or an 8" round (oven-safe) souffle dish (what I used).
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together flour, sugar, oats, and salt until ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
- Sprinkle the flour mixture evenly over berries, and top with pieces of butter .
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the crisp topping is golden-brown.
It may not be beautiful, but it is so tasty and especially good eaten warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! The perfect summer treat - warm/cold, gooey/crispy, and tart/sweet! Yummy!
Buon Appetito Tutti!