Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Rainy Day Chilli

So it's been a while since my last post...over 2 years in fact. But I've decided that it's time I got back to this. I've been fairly lazy recently and have been eating out or picking up take-out a lot, so I figured that getting back to blogging will motivate me to start cooking and baking for myself more! I also figured that it was time to expand beyond just baking to cooking and savory dinner-like foods too! In that vein...my last obsession is soups. They're so easy to make, and as a vegetarian, constitute a complete one-pot meal! Since beans and vegetables comprise most of my diet, chilli is an obvious choice...and on a gross, rainy day like today, it's so warm and comforting! My chilli dinner today was actually left over from Saturday night when I made chilli and cornbread biscuits with my friend who was newly returned to NYC from a summer abroad. The chilli was something I had made a few times before, but the biscuits were a new, super easy, and quite successful endeavor! The great thing about this chilli: it's simple to make and re-heats beautifully!



Three-Bean Veggie Chilli

1 28 oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
14 oz. water (approximate - to thin out the tomato base a bit)
4 cloves garlic, minced (or grated on a microplane)
3 tbsp. hot sauce (or more!) - my favorite is the Bone Suckin' Habanero Sauce
2 tbsp. cumin (this is just an estimate...I love cumin so I put in a ton)
1/2 tbsp. onion powder
1 tsp. ground chipotle pepper
salt (and a lot of it)
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
2 ears fresh corn (or 1 can corn)
1 small-medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 small-medium orange bell pepper, chopped
1 small-medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped

1. Combine tomatoes, water, and spices in a large soup pot. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until spices are well-incorporated.
2. Add beans and vegetables to tomato base. Cook for at least half an hour.
3. Serve!

Red Pepper Cornbread Biscuits

1 8 oz. can corn niblets, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 c. cornbread mix
1/2 tsp. salt 
1/2 c. skim milk
1/2 small red bell pepper, finely diced

1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. In a food processor (or using a wand blender), puree corn niblets until smooth.
3. Combine cornbread mix and salt in a mixing bowl, and whisk to incorporate.
4. Mix in pureed corn, milk, and red bell pepper.
5. Scoop biscuits onto a baking sheet using 1/3 c. measuring cup, ensuring that they are well-spaced on the sheet.
6. Bake for 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. Cool on a baking rack, and enjoy with (or without) your chilli!

Together these made the perfect rainy day meal...and no-fuss leftovers! To reheat, just microwave a bowl of chilli for about 2 minutes, stir, then microwave for another 30 seconds, and voila...hot chilli!

Bon appetit!

Inspired recipe of the day: Butternut Squash Noodles with Curry-Peanut Sauce
Drool-worthy dessert: Dulce de Leche Rice Pudding

No comments:

Post a Comment